Location: Ottawa, ON
As the plaque outside, what is now called the Canadian Museum of Nature, reads: “Built between 1905 and 1911, this Tudor Revival structure with its crenellated roofline holds a prominent place in the history of Canadian museums. Originally constructed for the Geological Survey of Canada to feature well-lit exhibition areas, it is Canada’s first building designed specifically for national museum collections and research. Over the years, it has been home to no fewer than four national museums devoted to natural history, science and technology, human history and fine art.
EGD was initially contracted by the Victoria Memorial Museum to carry out a condition survey on the building envelope, the exterior of the building, which had received little to no maintenance for years. EGD conducted a condition survey on the leaded and stained glass. Based on the funding available, certain crucial elements were repaired and restored.
EGD carried out work for the Victoria Memorial Museum on an ongoing basis from 1996-2008. As more funding became available for the renovation of the interior, EGD was once again brought on board to conduct another round of condition surveys and repairs, this time to the interior.
In 2004 work begun on the award winning building we know today. At this point, EGD was brought on as consultant to conduct further condition surveys and finally, to create and write a fully comprehensive heritage report. Several consultants were brought in for their specialities, EGD was brought in as the glass and wood associated elements specialists. Their work was invaluable to the recent renovations and aided architects in creating this beautiful award winning building.