Location: Toronto, ON
St. Michael’s Hospital was founded in 1892 by the Sisters of St. Joseph. The building was originally an old Baptist church constructed in 1860. The Gothic Chapel was among additions added to the original building by architect William Lyon Somerville in 1937. The Bond Street entrance of St. Michael’s Hospital is a fine example of Art Deco style.
The Chapel’s stained glass windows were designed and fabricated by Yvonne Williams in her Toronto design studio in the 1950s. The windows were made from tiny pieces of fully painted glass.
In 2015 St. Michael’s Hospital began major renovations. EGD Glass was contracted to provide a full conservation treatment. A condition survey revealed the windows were in poor condition. A lack of protective glazing meant that the stained glass had been exposed to the elements over the years.
EGD Glass removed the windows from their openings before taking rubbings and thorough documentation. The windows were dismantled in our Toronto studio in order to be releaded, painted and repaired. The restored windows were then reinstalled in their original openings.